Oy! My head is spinning. I've just read through page after page comparing the pros and cons of using WordPress over Blogger and vice versa. I've been considering switching to WordPress. I keep hearing how much better it is than Blogger. The consensus seems to be that WordPress is more "professional".
Here are the major pros for (self-hosted) WordPress I've found so far:
- easier commenting platform
- for more experienced bloggers, has better functionality, full control of your content
- all those plug-ins!
- better for SEO (although some people don't think so)
- self hosting will cost some ($)
- higher learning curve
switching could cause you to lose subscribers if you use feedburnerno longer an issue
Here are the pros for blogger:
- so simple a child could use it
- it's owned by google
(indexes quicker)(maybe just a rumor?)
- you can edit script/css and have your own template
- google owns your content (only if you don't have your own host?)
- commenting can be a hassle for some
Read more about importing from blogger.
Ready to make the switch? Check out Blogging with Amy's Tutorial!
UPDATE: I've got my new domain name (pinkcrabblog.com) I've got my host (1&1) I've got a great tutorial on how to set up WordPress with my hosting company. I will update when I make the switch!
*note that free wordpress (wordpress.com) and self hosted wordpress (wordpress.org) are different.
*Read how it all turned out!